Demand relief from crippling energy prices
To the printing industry,
Enough is enough, we need to act now!
The impact of exponentially increasing energy prices is crippling our industry and poses a serious risk to employment and manufacturing in Australia. We hear your stories and we understand the impact it is having on your business decisions in order to achieve your targets.
The Printing Industries Association of Australia has been working to keep this issue at the forefront of political policy and decision-making. You may have seen the pressure we placed on Josh Frydenberg, Minister for the Environment and Energy, and Chris Bowen, opposition Treasury spokesperson on Q&A on Monday night.
We share your frustration about the political complacency towards the urgency of the situation. Whilst parties across the spectrum are looking for the medium- to long-term view, industry needs immediate relief.
Tangible relief packages are required now, such as:
- new rules to create incentives for businesses who invest in energy infrastructure that adds to electricity supply, especially at peak times, and to reward businesses who use less during those same peaks;
- accelerated depreciation rates introduced with retrospective effect from 1/7/17, for energy infrastructure installed, commissioned and ready for use by Australian printers. Assets must cost less than $100,000 + GST to qualify for immediate deduction, with a 30% depreciation rate thereafter;
- and to encourage the investment in suitable assets, we seek a Government-mandated 30% rebate direct from all energy retailers where electricity usage is reduced by at least 15% within a 6 month period, year on year.
Drive the momentum
You and your colleagues can personally assist the association’s efforts by participating in the following ways.
3 easy steps
1. Sign the petition calling for action
Show your support by signing the petition here.
The petition allows for a consolidated view of the national support to demand relief to the manufacturing sector from crippling energy prices
2. Contact your Members of Parliament
Find your appropriate representatives and their contact details.
Federal Senators and Members can be identified using the postcode lookup here and relevant contact details are listed – post, online email or text.
State representatives and their contact information can be found using the links below:
3. Share your story and what you would like to see
In your own words share your story briefly, ask for immediate relief from energy prices to save jobs and manufacturing in Australia.
To assist you, the association has provided two pro forma templates so that you can use the appropriate one as the basis for your letter:
Business Owners demand relief from energy prices
Employees demand relief from energy prices
Together our voice is stronger. Let yours be heard.
Chief Executive Officer
Printing Industries Association of Australia
a Level 3, 9 Help Street, Chatswood, NSW 2067
p 02 8789 7300 | w www.piaa.org.au